How to Post an Event
To post your event, head over here.
Name of Event*
Venue*: You can either select one from the list or create a new one if necessary.
Calendar*: The full name of your student organization (be sure to keep this consistent, so people can be sure they are syncing all of your events)
Organizer: This can be left blank or you can put the name of your student organization. Or if it’s being organized by an outside group you can put that.
Description: You should provide a short description of the event.
You can create a WordPress login for the site (similar to other username/ password creation) or you can log in using Twitter or Facebook. If you use Twitter or Facebook, UWMedstudents.com does not have access to any of your private information (including username and password—those remain protected).
Contact the webmaster with any other questions or if you’re having trouble. Please remember that all student org events must be posted on the website’s calendar.
How to Sync Calendars to Your Personal Calendar
Overall, the way to sync certain calendars is very similar to syncing the OASIS calendar. On the main calendar page, click on an event that was created by the group you wish to “follow,” in this example Medical Student Association. Then click on the link below the heading “Calendar.”
This link will take you to the current month of events, so you may not see any events on the calendar–this is OK. Scroll down to the bottom and click on the button labeled “iCal Feed.” Be sure you don’t just click on the “iCal Feed” button on the main calendar page; otherwise you will sync all events posted to your personal calendar. Even if you aren’t using iCal, the link is still the same for other supported programs like Google Calendar.
Scroll down to the “iCal Feed” button and click on it to get the iCal Feed link.
From here, directions on installing a calendar feed are copied from the UC-Berkeley Molecular and Cellular Biology Department.
Apple iCal Instructions
- Open the Calendar program (in Applications)
- From the File menu select New Calendar Subscription
- Type or paste one of the two feed URLs above into Calendar URL field then click Subscribe
- Change the name and color (optional), change the Location to On My Mac (important!), and update theAuto-refresh frequency to Every day (important!), then click OK
- The events should now appear in your calendar
Microsoft Outlook 2007 Instructions
To subscribe to an iCalendar feed using Outlook:
- From Tools menu select Account Settings
- Click on the Internet Calendars tab
- Click the New button
- Type or paste one of the calendar URLs above then click Add
- In the Subscription Options dialog box, you can optionally rename the calendar. Make sure the box is checked in the Update Limit section.
Google Calendar Instructions
To subscribe to an iCalendar feed using Google Calendar:
- In the left column, click on the Add link in the Other Calendars section.
- From the menu select Add by URL.
- Enter the feed URL in the dialog box then click Add Calendar.
- NOTE: There appears to me no way to manually set how often the calendar is refreshed in Google Calendar (or bCal). There sometimes appears to be long periods of time with no updates. If the calendar appears to be “stuck” (not updating) after a few days, you can try unsubscribing from the Calendar on the settings page and re-subscribing using the feed URL with a random query string appended (e.g., http://mcb.berkeley.edu/seminars/mcb_seminars.ics?id=2 ).